Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day 2015

I will likely have to go back and do a catch-up blog post about the things that happened between the last blog and this one, but I wanted to remember the lovely Mother's Day I had today!

Leading up to today, things were crazy around the house because Andy was on call for work and I had injured my knee.  John was making something at school but said he wanted to buy me something too.

So Friday, John and I went to Danny's daycare and had a Mother's Day tea party with him.  I hadn't been able to go last year because Andy and I were in Hawaii.  It was sweet.  Danny made me a little flower vase out of a dixie cup covered in paper, with flowers made from pipe cleaners, buttons and cupcake wrappers.  John also gave me his school present, which was a nice letter to me with an illustration.

Then John made me take him to Target, where he picked out a card for me from Daniel, and a present for me from him and another one from Daniel.  I was not supposed to look in the cart or when I paid for them.

Saturday, we went to the zoo and had two yummy Mexican food meals at Someburros and Si Senor.

This morning I woke up and John offered to make me breakfast in bed.  I told him I would rather eat with the family since they were just starting their breakfast.  He had wrapped his presents all by himself.  Daniel (via John) gave me a card that said, "It's Mother's Day, Mom!  Forget about cleaning!  Forget about laundry!  Forget about chores!  Pretend you're me!"  With it was a small vase of flowers.  John gave me a pinch pot he made at school, which I will use to hold my rings in the kitchen when I'm washing dishes.  He bought me the DVD of Iron Man because he knows I love superheros. 

He also made me two more cards.  He is so cute with his seven-year-old concept of Hallmark sentiments.  One card said "Happy Mother's Day!  See how much I've grown!  But it's not the same with you, but you're always my mother.  Love, John."  It also had an illustration of him before and after.  The second one said (In cursive, all strung together into one long word):  "Fly to the stars on Mother's Day" and had a picture of me flying a spacecraft.

I honestly didn't think Andy would have time to do anything since he was on call.  But he found a moment to buy me a card and a chocolate bar.  :)

We had lunch with Carmen and Wayne and David, and dinner at Mom and Dad's with Robyn's family.  So I got to see all my favorite moms today!

----

I will take a moment here and also say some of the great things going on in the last week with the boys.  Since I'm here.  :)

John is almost done with 1st grade.  On his end-of-the-year math test, he scored at higher than a 4th-grade level.  He started the year at 2nd-grade level.  Proud of him!

Daniel is just about potty-trained.  Three weeks in, and we only had one accident all weekend.  For some reason he has trouble around 8:00am and I didn't catch him today.  But we were out all weekend and didn't have any accidents!!!  He is also actually doing some math!  Like, "we need four bananas but we only have two.  How many more do we need?"  "Two!"  He is also recognizing many letters.

Finally, the best thing to hear on Mother's Day weekend is my boys telling each other "You're my best friend."

No comments: