Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Family update - 2013-14 school year

We had a great year as a family, with lots of milestones and trips!

May 2013 - I graduated from ASU with my doctorate in voice performance.  I got to sing the National Anthem and the alma mater at the graduate commencement for the entire university!  John turned 5 and graduated from Pre-K.

June 2013 - A trip to Rocky Point and other summer fun!

July 2013 - I did a gig with two other singers as an Andrews Sisters trio, singing for a 4th of July event at the Phoenician.  I received my printed and bound dissertation in the mail.  Daniel turned one!  We replaced the tile floors throughout the house and redid the guest bathroom.

August 2013 - John started Kindergarten and Daniel moved to the toddler room at daycare.  Andy and I traveled to Minneapolis for the wedding of two friends.

September 2013 - I did a lunchtime recital at Arizona Opera's new facility downtown.  I gave a lecture recital on Elizabeth "Baby Doe" Tabor and sang all four arias from "The Ballad of Baby Doe."

October 2013 - A trip to Rocky Point.  John came to an ASU game.  For Halloween, John was a ninja and Daniel was a puppy.

December 2013 - This was a very busy month for me, singing-wise.  I sang in "Sounds of Christmas" again this year, sang the soprano solos in "Messiah" with the Phoenix Symphony at Grand Canyon arena, and sang "popera" quartets with three other ladies as the group "La Diva" in a benefit concert.  I was rehearsing Adele in Die Fledermaus, but that got cancelled at the last minute when the funding fell through.  After Christmas, the whole family took a trip to San Diego for the Holiday Bowl.  Mom and Dad, Robyn and Keahi, and our four all went to see the Sun Devils take on Texas Tech.  We even brought along a babysitter to watch the boys in the hotel room while we went to the game.  Sadly, the game was terrible.

February 2014 - Andy had to go to Seattle for work, so the boys and I joined him there.  We had a great time at the Seattle Aquarium, Pacific Science Center, Seattle Children's Museum, and John got to build his very first snowman right underneath the Space Needle!  Later that month, we went to Disneyland with Grandma and Grandpa.

March 2014 - A trip to Rocky Point and the Renaissance Faire.  John earned his white-yellow belt in karate


No comments: