Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Due date!

Today was John's due date. I can't believe I could still be pregnant today! I'm so glad he came early, I can't imagine still being pregnant.

We took John to the pediatrician for his 2 week check up today. I was so interested to see how much he weighed, since he is visibly bigger in his carseat and swing, feels much heavier, and is outgrowing one brand of newborn diapers. So today, two weeks after birth at 7 pounds 1 ounce, he now weighs 9 pounds 1 ounce! Crazy!!!! I can't believe he gained that much weight already. He is very healthy and doing great.

I think that my slight smug-mommy attitude about John's sleeping schedule is coming back to haunt me a little bit. (Any mommy reading this blog was probably laughing at me and saying "just wait!") The last two nights have been really rough for John, he is very fussy and his little tummy is hurting. He's been sleeping in one- and two-hour spurts, and screaming hysterically in between. It is so hard to see him crying like that. He is soothed when I pick him up, though, so I'm glad that something works. I think we are going to try giving him some gas-relief drops tonight, I hope that helps his tummy.

So I guess I've learned that when you're a new parent, you can't really count on anything. Something that soothes him one day won't work the next day. His schedule might change daily, and you just have to roll with it, because this roller coaster is your life! :)

Andy went back to work this week, he started at Google Tempe on Monday. I think he is enjoying himself so far, it's a great position. He's going to take another week off next week, since his parents are moving here and they (and Dave) will be here all next week. After that, he will still have 4 weeks of paternity leave to use before John's first birthday. Google is awesome.

John and I are doing all right at home together. The carseat is still too heavy and awkward for me, so the few times I've needed to go somewhere, my mom comes over and we all head out together. Physically, I am nicely recovering. I'm off the big pain meds and just on lots of ibuprofen now. I'm not back to full activity, obviously, I still have to take it easy, but definitely feeling physically better. Emotionally it's still a bit up and down, which I attribute to the stupid hormones and lack of sleep!!! :) I've been trying to keep up in terms of errands and housework, perhaps too much. Tomorrow I'm going to just take the day off and sleep when John sleeps, which I'm hoping will help me out.

It has been kind of a rough couple of days, but hopefully things will get better. And it doesn't really matter when I see John's little face sleeping happily!

No comments: