Friday, May 9, 2008

Our son is here!

John Christopher Will was born May 2, 2008 at 1:25 a.m., weighing 7 pounds, 1 ounce and measuring 19 1/4 inches. He was almost 3 weeks early.

Some labor details: My water broke in the middle of the night, around 4:30 a.m. Thursday, April 1. Andy had been in the San Jose area training for his new job with Google. He hadn't been scheduled to return home until Friday night. But I had an ultrasound on Wednesday that indicated some possible problems with my labor, so we agreed he needed to come home early so that he could be with me for my doctor's appointment on Thursday.

But I guess our little guy didn't want to wait! We checked into the hospital around 5:15. I started off doing well, but labor stalled out a few times, requiring me to get pitocin (and therefore an epidural). As labor went on, the baby was in distress, and labor was going nowhere. Finally, after 21 hours of labor (including 2 hours of pushing), the doctor told us that despite all of my hard work, the baby was stuck behind the pelvic bone, and wasn't able to pass through. So at that point I had to get a c-section.

I was disappointed to have a c-section for many reasons. First of all, I was scared to death, as I've never had surgery before. Also, I had been looking forward to holding my baby immediately, and going home after a relatively short hospital stay. But overall, I just wanted to have a healthy and happy baby.

And that's what we got! We are so thankful that our little boy is healthy and beautiful! I was in the hospital until Monday afternoon, and we've been home ever since. It's great to be home together as a family!

1 comment:

G.A.T.E. said...

Andi/Andy/John and Ollie, CONGRATULATIONS!! I love this website-nice job Andy. Andi, your mom sent me the link and I just sat there watching the videos and grinning like a fool! I am so HAPPY for you all.

Yes, the C-section will slow you down-don't worry if you still "hit the brick wall" for several wks. The important thing is that John and you are both ok!

Love you all, Louise