Friday, May 9, 2008

John's first week home

We've had a great first week. John is one week old today and is adapting to life at home very well.

At the moment we have him on a pretty good schedule, though we know this can change at any time! During the day, we wake him up to eat every 3 hours, so that at night, he only wakes himself up every 3 hours. That translates to about 2.5 hours of sleep at a time, which from what I understand is not too bad. Of course, I shouldn't say how good or bad it is, as Andy is the one getting up with him...

As I mentioned, I had a c-section delivery. I'm really surprised at how much the c-section takes its toll on you physically. So far, I've been pretty out of commission when it comes to taking care of John. I can feed him, but pretty much everything else is difficult. It's hard to bend over to change his diaper or put him in his bassinet, since that's right where my incision is. I can't even sleep in bed yet because I can't use my abs to lift myself up from a lying position, so I've been sitting up on the couch for a few nights now. The good news is, I'm feeling better every day and I hope that by the end of next week, things will be more normal for me, physically at least.

My favorite time is right after John eats, when one of two things will happen. Either he stays awake and just stares into my eyes for about 15 minutes, or he falls asleep and gives a series of cute little grins and smiles.

Ollie has taken to John really well. He usually stays as close to him as possible. If John is napping in his infant chair and gives a little fussy cry, Ollie will go investigate. He'll sniff the chair, and come to me as though to make sure I know that the baby cried. It's adorable. He'll also get up on his back paws to try to peer into the Pack-and-Play to watch John sleep. Ollie is such a good little nanny! :)

Honestly, overall we're doing great! John is a sweet baby and we are lucky that both of us are able to be home with him right now. We are really happy!

No comments: